Sign in to follow this  
Worthy42

Coaching decisions

I am highly critical of Walton’s recent personnel decisions.  Immediately after Kuzma’s 30/14 game, Walton implicitly criticized Kuzma’s ball movement in the post-game press conference, saying he needed to look for more assists.  Ever since that game, Kuz has shown more hesitation on taking the open shot or driving to the rim.  He is our best offensive weapon and his ppg went up significantly when he was inserted in the starting lineup for Nance.  Nance comes back tonight from injury and replaces Kuz in the starting lineup getting 30 minutes to Kuz’ 20.  Kuz (15 puts) and Clarkson (17 puts) were scoring well with high fg percentages, but Walton went with Ball (3 pts on 1 for 7) and Nance (9 pts) down the stretch. Nance should have come off the bench first game back with fewer minutes than Kuz and Clarkson and Kuz should have joined KCP, Ingram and Randle on the floor down the stretch, especially with Griffin out.  Kuz has been our best scorer with a high fg percentage and good foul shot, yet for some reason Walton diminishes him but helps constant praise on Ball (a liability down the stretch with extremely weak fg and abysmal free throw percentages. I just don’t get it and don’t like it.  It reminds me of Byron’s mistreatment of Russell. 

• Like 1

I agree with you completely.  I'm so frustrated with Luke Walton's lineup decisions. Last night I'm thinking who can score in this starting lineup?  Well they had one basket after about 10 minutes, and we fell way behind. If it hadn't been for KCP getting hot, we would have never scored. Totally unbalanced. If he "has" to play Lonzo, at least put in some shooters alongside him. I like Larry Nance, but he isn't a scorer-yet. If he plays Nance, let Clarkson play the point. The decision to take out Kuz and Clarkson was unbelievable and probably lost us the game. I hope someone in the front office or anywhere will talk to Walton about his very questionable lineups and substitution choices. I'm still upset this morning. 

• Like 1

Coaches loss....plain and simple.  Clarkson and Kuzma should have been in the end of the game and more minutes.  Ball is great defender....can't shoot.

Take now, brook Lopez has struggled the last couple of games. You brought up Thomas Bryant, who did great in the g-league, and hasn't played a single minute in regular game. Do you think we will see him in denver? Even though at minimum it would mean a lot to him! Luke would have benefited enormously if he had been a college head coach for a number of years to get the feel of coaching basics like rotations. 

I have been a DEDICATED FAN since 1979 and I was dazed and confused when the Lakers Organization wanted an signed bill walton as the Head Coach. I thought he sucked as a player and if you don't have skill then you shouldn't be in the NBA. #1 he should have been traded his rookie year cause he didn't even play the total min. of a NBA GAME that season. If Magic doesn't FIRE WALTON BY ALL-STAR BREAK I might be giving up as a Lakers Fan. Walton can't Pick a line up , can't substitute or call a time out to stop the other teams Momentum. HE WASN'T PLAYER MATERAL AND SHOULDN'T BE A  COACH.....I RATHER HAVE THE IDIOT BACK D' ANTONI.... J/K BOTH GOTTA GOOOOOOOOOO!!